Resources for Legislators
The Healthcare Supply Chain Association (HSCA) represents the nation’s leading healthcare group purchasing organizations (GPOs) – the sourcing and purchasing partners to virtually all of America’s 7,000+ hospitals, as well as the vast majority of the 68,000+ long-term care facilities, surgery centers, clinics, and other healthcare providers. GPOs aggregate the purchasing power of healthcare providers to deliver critical cost savings that allow healthcare providers to focus on their core mission: providing first-class patient care.
Below please find background on the supply chain and our policy priorities.
- How GPOs Work – Details how GPOs operate and how they provide cost-savings for the healthcare industry
- Safe Harbor Overview – Overview of the GPO Safe Harbor and the vendor fee model
- Comparison of GPOs and PBMs – Outline of the differences between GPOs and pharmacy benefit managers (PBMs) and their role in the healthcare industry
- How GPOs Help Avert and Mitigate Healthcare Product Shortages – Overview on how GPOs work with suppliers, providers, and government officials to prevent and mitigate drug shortages
- GPOs as Critical Partners in the COVID-19 Response Efforts
- How GPOs Drive Sustainability and Environmental Responsibility Throughout the Healthcare System – a one pager highlighting ways GPOs help support sustainability
- GPOs in Action: Supporting Healthcare Providers and Improving the Lives of Patients – Examples of the ways in which GPOs are improving the lives of patients
- How GPOs Drive Quality Throughout the Healthcare System – a one page overview of how GPOs help to support quality in healthcare
Studies & Reports
- HSCA Research and Analyses Overview – Overviews all the relevant research and analyses on GPO cost savings and the GPO business model
- Liebowitz Study and One-Pager – Study conducted by former FTC Chair Jon Liebowitz that found GPOs save money and promote competition
- 2018 Dobson and DaVanzo Study and One-Pager – Study that found GPOs save the healthcare industry $34.1 billion annually
- Drug Shortage Working Group Readout – Summary of policy recommendations put forth by members of the Drug Shortage Working Group on ways to address drug shortages
- American Hospital Association 2014 National Survey Report and One-Pager – Independent survey of hospital executives and their perspectives on GPOs
- 2018 Burns Study and One-Pager – Independent research conducted by supply chain experts at the Wharton School which found that hospitals are consistently satisfied with their GPOs.
COVID-19 Pandemic Policy Recommendations
- GPOs Efforts to Support COVID-19 Response & Recovery – a one pager highlighting ways GPOs have helped support COVID-19 response efforts
- HSCA COVID-19 Guiding Principles – a list of principles and recommendations to further strengthen supply chain resiliency and enable an effective response to public health crises
- HSCA Policy Solutions for Safeguarding Access to Critical Medical Supplies – a list of administrative and policy recommendations to safeguard patient and provider access to critical medical supplies